Founded by KC Miller, Southwest Institute of Healing Arts (SWIHA) – originally called Southwest Institute of Myotherapy – opened in Scottsdale, AZ in September of 1992. At that time, the school served students seeking to become Licensed Massage Therapists (LMT) through the study of Myotherapy and related techniques.
Over the next decade, SWIHA added hundreds of CEU courses and began reaching into many other areas of Holistic Healing and Healthcare. In 1999, SWIHA secured accreditation through the Accrediting Commission for Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and began offering degrees and diplomas in addition to their certificates and courses. Some of the programmatic areas included were Western Herbalism, Life Coaching, Yoga, and Hypnotherapy.
During its second decade, SWIHA saw amazing growth in program offerings and size, as well as in its influence in the local community and the Holistic Healthcare movement at the national and global levels.
- 1992: Southwest Institute of Myotherapy Opened
- 1994: Southwest Institute of Myotherapy became Southwest Institute of Healing Arts
- 2002: SWIHA moved to its current location in Tempe, AZ and gained approval to participate in Federal Financial Aid
- 2003: SWIHA changed accrediting bodies to the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), to better align with its program outcomes.
- 2006: Started the Southwest Institute of Natural Aesthetics (SWINA) and received a full, five-year re-accreditation
- 2008: Hosted the Obama-Biden Healthcare Meeting
- 2009: Moved SWINA to a new campus and added a Laser program, and Started SWIHA Online
- 2011: Received another full, five-year re-accreditation, Opened the Spirit of Yoga
As SWIHA enters its third decade, it is a recognized leader in Holistic Healthcare education throughout the Southwest. In addition, SWIHA Online has grown to include many certificates, a diploma, and an Associates of Occupational Studies. Students attend classes from all over the United States as well as many international countries.
SWIHA looks forward to becoming a strong and unifying voice in national and global conversations and movements that lead to the adoption of Holistic Healthcare and a lifestyle that truly integrates mind, body, and spirit.
- Choice and Flexibility
- Diversity in Learning Styles and Delivery Systems
- Self-healing – Self-empowerment – Self-sufficiency